UBC’s Vancouver campus Master of Data Science program covers all stages of the value chain, with an emphasis on the skills required to apply meaning to data. Over 10 months, you will learn how to extract data for use in experiments, how to apply state-of-the-art techniques in data analysis, and how to present your findings effectively to domain experts.
Highlights Across All MDS Programs:
- 10-month, full-time, accelerated program offers a short-term commitment for long-term gain
- Condensed one-credit courses allow for in-depth focus on a limited set of topics at one time
- Capstone project gives students an opportunity to apply their skills
- Real-world data sets are integrated in all courses to provide practical experience across a range of domains
Highlights Specific To Vancouver Campus Option:
- Curriculum designed by combined computer science and statistics experts with input from local industry
- A coordinated approach blending computer science and statistics education in order to give students a broader skill set
- Courses are taught by a core team of faculty dedicated to teaching MDS full-time and providing support to students during the program.
- A cosmopolitan city, sprawling campus, and a cohort of up to 100 students, offer an engaging, culturally enriched university experience
- Strong connections with industry partners in public and private sectors, start-ups, and leading tech companies offer a wide range of networking/career opportunities
The program structure includes 24 one-credit courses offered in four-week segments. Courses are lab-oriented and delivered in-person with some blended online content.
At the end of the six segments, an eight-week, six-credit capstone project is also included, allowing students to apply their newly acquired knowledge, while working alongside other students with real-life data sets.
Fall: September - December
Block 1 (4 weeks, 4 credits)
Block 2 (4 weeks, 4 credits)
Block 3 (4 weeks, 4 credits)
Winter: January - April
Block 4 (4 weeks, 4 credits)
Block 5 (4 weeks + 1 week break, 4 credits)
Block 6 (4 weeks, 4 credits)
Spring: May - June
Capstone Project (8-10 Weeks, 6 credits)
Instructor(s): MDS Staff
Even though Lesley found the MDS Vancouver program intense, she said it was worth it. Lesley's favourite part of the program was being with her cohort and working through problems and challenges together.