Connect with MDS Students and Alumni
Whether you are currently recruiting talented Data Scientists, wanting to learn how Data Science could be leveraged to help your organization or looking to develop a partnership with UBC and the Master of Data Science program, we have a variety of ways to connect you with our students and alumni.
Post a Job
Do you have an opportunity for a Data Scientist, Data Analyst, Machine Learning Engineer, or any other related job? We have the talent. Email us your job description and we will promote it to our students and alumni.
Host an Event
Discover ways to engage with and recruit students by participating in events such as employer information sessions, industry talks and guest lectures. Contact us to book a time or find out more.
Work with our MDS students on a Data Science project (May-June). Assess talent and your organizational needs for a data scientist and gain brand exposure, while providing our students with valuable work experience. Submit your proposal in the fall.
What is Data Science?
Data science is a multi-disciplinary field that extracts knowledge and insights from data using scientific methods and reproducible and auditable processes.
Why Hire a Data Scientist?
There’s a lot of data out there, many organizations collect and store terabytes of data but often do not know what to do with it or how to use it to improve business processes, predict customer behaviour, increase revenues, etc. This is where a Data Scientist can help. A Data Scientist’s job is to:
- Craft a story, explaining the data in a way that will be easy to communicate and easy to act on.
- Make predictions either from that data or similar looking data that you’ll get in the future.
- Make sure that data is nicely formatted and conforms to some set of rules.
- Build some sort of data product that can be used by people who aren’t data scientists. This can take many forms: a visualization (or chart), a metric on a dashboard, or an application.
- Go back and redo the above tasks every time new data or situations occur. If you think that you are not collecting the right data, storing it in the right format or your data is not telling you a story (that you understand anyways) a Data Scientist can become an invaluable member of your team.
Keep up to date with MDS
Our UBC Master of Data Science students are putting their education into practice by participating in a variety of events and contributing to the data science community. Our graduates are working as data scientists on interesting projects across a wide range of industry sectors. Here are just a few of their success stories.
We also highlight the academic side of the UBC MDS program on our Master of Data Science Blog.
Get Social with MDS
Visit and follow our MDS LinkedIn page to find out about upcoming data science events at UBC, to read about past employer events and to read interesting data science industry articles.
Meet our MDS Alumni and Students
Read about what they were doing prior to joining the program, their experience during the program, and their journey ahead.
Nada Salem, Data Scientist at Spotify
"My goal is to empower management to make better and more informed data driven decisions for the organization."
Mohsen Zardadi, Data Scientist at Terra Sense Analytics
"I have found people in Kelowna so friendly and easy to connect and students might find much better opportunities here. I strongly recommend students to consider small communities like Kelowna."
Niki Hajmoshir, Language Engineer at Amazon
“What I really like about this program is that we get more hands-on experience and work with data sets and corpora so when we go into industry we won’t be lost because we know how to handle these things.”